Attractions
Brukenthal Museum
Brukental Museum is located in Sibiu and is one of the most important museums in Romania. Baron Samuel von Brukental built this museum between the years 1778 to 1788. Official Brukental Museum was opened in 1817, is the oldest museum in the country. Its headquarters is in Brukental Palace, which is one of the most important monuments of Baroque know Romania. Buildings housing these museums have been declared historical monuments. In 1968 the museum was'' board'' of thieves ste...
+ More
Astra Museum of Traditional Folk Civilization
Civilisation ASTRA Museum in Sibiu was inaugurated in 1905. It is comprised of several units museum: - ASTRA Museum of Traditional Folk Civilization (Route inari) - an open-air museum is located in Grove Sibiu. It can be visited both walking and carriage, carriage or boat. The latter way is due to the fact that inside there is a lake. The total area of the museum is 96 hectares, of which 42 hectares is the exhibition itself. There are two restaurants, two hostels, playground, and a tou...
+ More
Museum of History
History Museum of Sibiu was founded in 1959 and is part of the National Brukental Museum. It is also known as the Altemberger, name taken after the name of the first owner. Thomas Altemberger built the location between 1470-1491. In 1545 the building was taken by the city and became City Hall, having this status until 1948. Between 1967-1984 the building was restored and was moved here the History Museum. The museum was divided at every level you find exhibitions: - The basement: Anc...
+ More
Natural History Museum
Natural History Museum of Sibiu was founded in 1849 by people passionate about knowledge of nature, people gathered in the Transylvanian Society of Natural Sciences. The first collections of the museum were two herbaria in which there were more than 30,000 pieces. Along the way, due to increasing the number of collections that the museum space became too small and was needed to create a own building. This, which is found in this museum is in the former Park Theatre and was built between 189...
+ More
Museum of Guns and Hunting Trophies
Museum of Arms and Hunting Trophies in Sibiu was founded in 1966. After 15 years it is moved to the villa Colonel August von Spiess. Much of its parts belong to the collection of the colonel, that was for a good period of years foreman of the Royal House Hunting. In the museum exhibit will find a picture of the evolution of hunting weapons over time. At this time in the museum you find over 1,500 pieces coming from donations or purchased from collectors. The oldest parts date ba...
+ More
House of Arts - 'Emil Sigerus'' Museum of Saxon Ethnography
House of Arts - “Emil Sigerus” Museum of Saxon Ethnography Sibiu is known as the “Butcher” Hall. It occurs first mentioned under this name in 1370. The building consists of ground floor and first floor, plus an appendix of access to the rear, the latter being created later. At first, in the 15th century, the building contained only the ground floor, because in the process to be built and floor consists of one room, for warehouses. In 1765 Arts House was for a period of months auditoriu...
+ More
Franz Binder Ethnography Museum
Franz Binder Museum of Ethnography in Sibiu part of ASTRA National Museum Complex. It was inaugurated in 1993 and is the only one in Romania whose profile is the research and ethnographic heritage of extra-European. The museum is housed in a building declared a historic monument, built in Gothic style and dating from 1865-1867. Original name of the building was Handicraftsman house. After World War II the building receives patronymic as Hermes House with commercial or administrative positions...
+ More
Museum of the History of Pharmacy
History of Pharmacy Museum from Sibiu was opened in 1972 and is a rarity among Romanian and European museums. Sibiu was chosen to create the museum for two reasons. Firstly because there was established the first pharmacy in Romania (1494), and secondly in the area has developed a rich activity in terms of the pharmaceutical industry. The building in which the museum is an architectural monument with Renaissance and Gothic elements dating from 1568. A third pharmacy of Sibiu, in chrono...
+ More
Friedrich Schiller House
Friedrich Schiller House in Sibiu hosts the bust the German playwright of the same name, is one of the most important sights in the city. Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805) was a the German dramatist and poet, was named one of the „princes” of German poetry. He was born in the family of a surgeon in Marbach, Württemberg duchy. At 14 years, Schiller is enrolled in the Military Academy where he formed rebellious spirit. In 1780 after supporting a dissertations became a m...
+ More
Small Square Sibiu
Small Square from Sibiu was built in XIV-XVI centuries and is known as "The little ring.'' The market is the old commercial center of the city being divided into two different parts, separated by Ocnei street. A feature buildings from the Small Square are the wrought iron lanterns hanging on architectural elements. Small Square is linked to Market Square and Huet Square through narrow passages, they are one of the attractions of Sibiu. Among the important bui...
+ More
Large Square Sibiu
Large Square from Sibiu became from the events of 1989 as a symbol of the city. It was first mentioned in 1411 and is the largest market in the old town, the principal place of economic activity merchant. Here were held civic gatherings, fairs and public executions. In the Market Square were the Infamy pillar with the statue of Roland on top, hanging cage and the “Cage for the freaks”. In the Market Square are located the following buildings: - Brukental Palace - located...
+ More
Evangelical Cathedral
Evangelical Cathedral from Sibiu is one of the most impressive buildings in the city and one of the finest Gothic buildings in Transylvania. In the fourteenth century it was built in an old Romanesque basilica dating from the twelfth century. Since 2004 was submitted on the list of historical monuments in Sibiu. The Evangelical Cathedral it is dominated by the tower which has seven levels with four towers on the corners. The tower is the tallest medieval building in Romania, with a hei...
+ More
Ursuline Church
Ursuline Church of Sibiu was included on the list of historical monuments in the county in 2004. The monastery was built in 1475 in order to house the Dominican monks, but a century later it was abandoned due to the introduction of Lutheran religion. In 1718 the Ursuline nuns from Pojon (Slovak town) arrived in Sibiu and took over the monastery, making it a church and a school for girls. This monument underwent several renovations over time, so a Gothic-style building has become one of...
+ More
Church amongst Trees
Church amongst Trees from Sibiu is dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, is the oldest place of worship built by the Romanian Church United with Rome in Sibiu. The building was built between 1778-1788, with Baroque elements, and massive columns, or pilasters oyster grounds. Bishop Grigore Maior funded the work. He has received the construction of the church in 1774 by the imperial authorities. Joseph Neuhause iconostasis painted it in 1795. The Church and the rectory are used from 1948 b...
+ More
The Synagogue from Sibiu
Sibiu Synagogue was built in eclectic style between 1898 - 1899. It was included on the List of Historical Monuments in Sibiu in 2004. Who was responsible for raising funds for the church was president of the Jewish Community in Sibiu, Josef Schwartz. He gave the task of building the church to Hungarian architect Ferenc Szalay. Sibiu Synagogue consists of a rectangular body with two levels. Red brick cladding was used for the main façade, with five bays, demarcated by bright yel...
+ More
Roman Catholic Church
Roman Catholic Church from Sibiu is, as the name implies, a Roman Catholic church. It was built between 1726-1733 by the Jesuits and in 1738 was added the tower - bell tower, unhooked from the ship. The church is called the Church of the Holy Trinity and belongs to Neostenativ Baroque building. Church facades are divided into axes by means of pillars with Doric capital. The sides of Market Square façade are two rectangular doors by first making the access to the church, and by t...
+ More
Franciscan Church
The Franciscan Church is a Gothic church in Sibiu, the old original building was built in the fifteenth century. Inside is a Baroque church, with a semicircular arched rostrum over the northern part. This stand is painted the scene of St. Francis calling birds. The church was at the beginning the Poor Clares Monastery. After the Lutheran Reformation was abolished, being used as a granary. In 1716 was acquired by the Franciscans. Due to the collapse of the vaults in 1776 the church was...
+ More
Reformed Church
Reformed Church from Sibiu is a place of calvin worship built in 1786. The separation from the Roman Catholic community of the Catholic priest who took the teachings of John Calvin movement emerged. One of the reasons that Reformed doctrine was adopted was the possibility of the gospel in their own language, separated from the Roman Catholic Church which uses Latin. In 1783 Sibiu Reformed community has received approval to build a church in the city, and the following year was collected amoun...
+ More
Orthodox Cathedral
Sibiu Orthodox Cathedral is dedicated to the “Holy Trinity”. It was built between 1902-1906 on the site that in 1797-1799 was a Greek church. Metropolitan John of Metianu has founded one church. The cathedral has a Byzantine basilica for patterns, the scale a copy of St. Sophia Cathedral in Constantinople. Between 1967-1981 the cathedral roof was replaced and the two towers were repaired. In 2007, washed and reworked his paintings and made a monumental stained glass in the choir a...
+ More
Chapel of the Holy Cross
Chapel of the Holy Cross from Sibiu is a Roman Catholic place of worship and was built in 1755. In place of the Holy Cross Chapel was built at the beginning, in the thirteenth century, a monastery of Dominican friars. After being burned and then suffered great damage in 1755, councilor Martin Wankel Transylvanian von Seeberg gave orders that the bridge he built to be transformed into a chapel. The bell tower was added in 1882 by the Roman Catholic bishop of Transylvania, Mihaly Fogaras...
+ More
Evangelical Church C.A from Turnisor
Evangelical Church C.A from Turnisor, Sibiu, was at the end of XII century a Roman basilica. Massive tower found the right church is typical of the church, with walls three feet thick. Unfortunately, today the tower is only half the width of the original tower. The altar dates from 1759, and the interior Evangelical Church of Turnișor is decorated with Baroque belonging. Apse, choir and south eastern parts of the collateral are the only things kept in the original construction. Recently added...
+ More
Terezian Church and Orphanage
Terezian Church and Orphanage was built between 1767 and 1771 by the architect Leopold Grossmann. It is dedicated to Saint Elizabeth, being a church rather simplistic decor items are extremely rare. The western façade is rectangular stone surround portal, above it being a triangular pediment and two niches decorated with shell semicircular baroque bow. Inside it draws attention lateral naves that the top stands. The place of worship is part of a collection of great value...
+ More
Evangelical Church from Gusterita
Evangelical Church C.A from Gusterita was built in the late twelfth, thirteenth century, like most Roman basilicas in Sibiu. Despite having suffered major changes over time, the building has preserved untouched by western tower plan embedded in the first bay of the nave, side, Corsica and apse, and absidiola south. The apse was demolished in the latter part of the fifteenth century to the height of 4.5 meters, from there up being built a Gothic polygonal choir. Also in that period were replac...
+ More
Church of St. Luke
St. Luke Orthodox Church dates from 1791, being the church of Maier neighborhood. In the beginning was partially painted iconostasis and Cafasse but old painting is preserved only on the Cafasse, restored in 1972. It is built in the Romanesque style as a ship with three classical partitions (narthex, nave and altar). Above is the entire surface Cafasse ante-temple and in the west rises a three-tiered tower and belfry. The church is of brick, the foundation is covered with tiles tiles....
+ More
Church from 'Groapa''
Church from “Pit” from Sibiu is also known as the Church of the Annunciation. This is an Orthodox church built between 1778-1779, is one of the first Orthodox church in Sibiu. She was placed in Trinkbach valley, hence the name church from pit. Partially destroyed by earthquake in 1802, it was rebuilt in the years 1802-1803. In 1991 they made last repairs and modernization of the church. The interior walls of the church were painted by Nicolae Brana in 1961. The railing Cafa...
+ More
Skete from Paltiniș
Skete from Paltiniș is a major tourist attraction of Paltinis Resort, resort located 32 kilometers southwest of the city of Sibiu. This monastery is a wooden church built in the early twentieth century. Hermitage Church is located at a height of 1.350 meters at the foot on Cindrelului Mountains at a distance of 500 meters from the highway Paltiniș - Sibiu. Metropolitan of Transylvania Nicolae Balan founded the church around 1930. Hermitage consists of a wooden church recently painted t...
+ More
City walls
Sibiu city walls can be seen in six areas, namely: - The outer wall of defense - on Coposu Boulevard can be seen the third ring of fortification. The wall is separated from the roadway by a green area. It was first created in 1791 between the Haller Bastion and Gros Tower, being extended to Bastion Cisnadiei. The outer wall of defense is pierced by three points vaulted semicircular between Union Square and the Gros Tower. At the intersection of Gheorghe Lazar Street and Coposu Boulevar...
+ More
Council Tower
Council Tower from Sibiu is one of the most famous monuments in the city. Under it is a gang that makes the transition between the Small and the Large Square. For the first time mentioned in 1324 and its name comes from the fact that defend the entrance gate to the second site. In nearby, where the past is building housed the mayor of Sibiu. Since the initial construction of the kernel was kept up to the height of the first floor, over time undergone several changes. In 1585 the upper...
+ More
Cisnadiei Gate Tower
Cisnadiei Gate Tower Sibiu was built in the fourteenth century. It is located above Gate Cisnadiei, its role being to protect the gateway to the city. Turkish attacks in the mid fifteenth century led to strengthening the fortifications of the city and better organization for defending the city. The four gates of the city were given to affluent and well organized guilds to be defensed. Gate Cisnadiei was allocated to butchers guild. Cisnadiei Gate in 1594 was turned into ruins by...
+ More
House with decorations
House with decorations in Sibiu, built in the eighteenth century, was called by the inhabitants of Sibiu, in the next century of its creation, „At the virgine of stones”. Caryatides is an architectural support column used in place about the statue as represented by a woman. The building stands out in particular due to the two caryatids at the entrance. In the building previously lived in the city most famous silversmith Sebastian Han. After his death the house was built wit...
+ More
Stairs Passage
Stairs Passage from Sibiu was built in the fourteenth century, its purpose being to make the connection between Upper Town and Lower Town. Passage around the city walls surrounding the Evangelical Church and has two branches and several arcade. The passage ends at the top at the intersection with Odobescu with Tower Gate and the Old City Hall, where today is the Museum of History, part of the National Museum Brukental. Stairs Passage is known as the “wall with needles” and...
+ More
Liars Bridge Sibiu
Liars Bridge from Sibiu is a steel bridge built in 1859 over the Ocna street. The bridge connects the Down Town and Upper Town. By the mid-nineteenth century the entrance to the city was through a curved tunnel. Place crossed that tunnel was called Lies benches. Of the names of the Liars Bridge are several legends: - The most famous is the one that says that the bridge has a power and thus hard to imagine, at any lie he heard start to moan - Another legend says that on the bridge w...
+ More
ASTRA Park
ASTRA Park from Sibiu is located in the “heart” of the city, being bounded by Metropolitan, George Barițiu, Union Square and John Lupas streets. With the establishment of the Society for city beautification in 1879 to implement the plan established ten years ago that they wanted to demolish the city walls in the area. In the ASTRA Park you find nine busts of the most important Romanian personalities in around ASTRA Association: George Bartiu, Timotei Cipariu, Badea Cartan, Octavian Goga, A...
+ More
Under Alders Park
Under Alders Park from Sibiu was created in 1856 and is one of the oldest parks in the country. In the next two years was made two main paths at the same time as planting various species of shrubs. In the 1860 was built the bridge over the Trinbach brook after a year after the dam was built. In 1865 was founded the Under Alders restaurant. First fountain in the park was built in 1894. After another four years was created music pavilion used by military band for concerts and the 1904 fleet is...
+ More
Youth Park
The Youth Park from Sibiu is near the Haller Bastion. It was recently renovated and comprises the largest fountain in the city of Sibiu. Foto: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/617797.jpg
+ More
Dumbrava Forest
The Dumbrava forest from Sibiu has an area of 960 hectares, located in the south-west side, on the road leading to the Rasinari. The forest it is crossed by the Trinkbach stream which on its cours forms three anthropogenic lakes, one in ASTRA Museum and the other two at the zoo. Dumbrava Forest was chosen by local people a place for walks since the eighteenth century. Today it is recognized especially through the ASTRA Civilization Museum located here. The average height of the forest is...
+ More
Cindrel Natural Parc
Cindrel Natural Park from Sibiu is on the southwestern edge of the county in the Parang Mountains. It has an area of more than 9.000 hectares and covers the most spectacular landforms of the area of Lotru and Cindrel massives. In the Nature Park are located 12 lakes like “Small Iezeru”, ”Gropota” or “Big Iezeru”. In the both Iezer lakes it is formed the Cibin river downstream. Sadu river across the east part of the park and the river called “Th...
+ More
Iezerele Cindrelului Nature Reserve
Iezerele Cindrelului Nature Reserve from Sibiu is mixed with geological landscape values, fauna and flora. The total area of the reserve is 609.6 ha, located in the Cindrelul mountains. Initially, in 1961 the protected area was 450.5 ha, as in 2004, known as the edge of Priboi is included in the reserve and so reach the area in existence today. This is the only reserve in Sibiu with inscriptions and marking according to European standards: terminals, piers, signs and maps. At an altitu...
+ More
Fagaras Mountains' alpine
Fagaras Mountains alpine of Sibiu lies between Podragu and Suru and is a protected area. With an area of 6.989 ha, the nature reserve is located in the northern part of the Fagaras Mountains, in the center of massive glacial. This alpine runs from Podragu Peak (2.482m) and Suru Peak (2281). On the alpine territory are suspended caldrons, glacial lakes, moraines, rocky areas, valleys, streams, steep hills, meadows and forested areas. Glacial Lakes gives a special charm on the area, here...
+ More
Book a place in city
Sibiu
Book Now
+
-
+
-
+
-
Things to see Sibiu
+ More