Cisnadiei Gate Tower Sibiu was built in the fourteenth century. It is located above Gate Cisnadiei, its role being to protect the gateway to the city.
Turkish attacks in the mid fifteenth century led to strengthening the fortifications of the city and better organization for defending the city. The four gates of the city were given to affluent and well organized guilds to be defensed. Gate Cisnadiei was allocated to butchers guild.
Cisnadiei Gate in 1594 was turned into ruins by a lightning strike, but was rebuilt the same year, having an important economic function for the city of Sibiu, because it link to Dumbrava Sibiului, where there were workshops, farms and the mills of the city. The seventeenth century cattle market in the city was moved near the gate, and inside the fortifications some locals have built homes.
In 1807 he built a military quartering Austrian army barracks south of Gate Cisnadiei. It was demolished in 1987.
Johann Bobel, a master baker who lived in the seventeenth century created two watercolor paintings that represent this tower. In the first part of the nineteenth century city magistrate ruled demolition of Cisnadiei Gate, on its location was decided to be build a new market which connects the medieval town and Josefin district.
Sibiu City Hall began in 2006 a project aimed to restore Cisnadiei gate tower. The new tower was intended to host exhibitions and be an information point for tourists. After all the restoration has not taken place, the city reprezentatives was not aggread with the offers of the architects willing to do so.
Gate Tower Cisnadiei had three floors rectangular ramparts were made in order to allow harquebus shots. The top area of the tournament was sticking out and supported on consoles whose connecting arcs were guns. Hipped roof tower was at the top with a tower-lantern that there was a clock.
Address: Nicolae Balcescu
Source: http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnul_Por 9Bii_Cisn%% C8% C4% 83diei_din_Sibiu