Large Square from Sibiu became from the events of 1989 as a symbol of the city. It was first mentioned in 1411 and is the largest market in the old town, the principal place of economic activity merchant. Here were held civic gatherings, fairs and public executions. In the Market Square were the Infamy pillar with the statue of Roland on top, hanging cage and the “Cage for the freaks”.
In the Market Square are located the following buildings:
- Brukental Palace - located at number 4, was the residence of Baron Samuel von Brukental. This is now as the National Brukental Museum.
- Haller House – at number 10, has Renaissance elements, in the yard being a house with Gothic tower
- House of Arts - located at number 21, is also known as the Butcher House, is one of the most beautiful buildings in Sibiu
- Blue House - between 1858-1862 was the headquarter of the Society of Natural Sciences, is situated at number 5
- House of Generals - under number 7, in the past here was the headquarters of magistracy and the General Command of the Austrian troops in Transylvania
- City Hall - is located on Brukenthal Street no.2, since 1906, for a century, it was the headquarters of the Bank of Credit and then the CEC.
Other properties in this market are: Hecht House (No. 8), Weidner-Reussner-Czekelius House (number 16) or Lutsch House (number 13).
Also in the Market Square you will find the statue of George Lazar, and a memorial plaque in memory of the victims of the Revolution of 1989.