Sibiu Orthodox Cathedral is dedicated to the “Holy Trinity”. It was built between 1902-1906 on the site that in 1797-1799 was a Greek church. Metropolitan John of Metianu has founded one church. The cathedral has a Byzantine basilica for patterns, the scale a copy of St. Sophia Cathedral in Constantinople. Between 1967-1981 the cathedral roof was replaced and the two towers were repaired. In 2007, washed and reworked his paintings and made a monumental stained glass in the choir arch.
Orthodox Cathedral measured 53.10 m long, 25.40 m wide at the center, has a dome 24.70 m and 15 m in diameter and towers complete with cross measures 43 m in height. The exterior is composed of five alternating rows of yellow brick with three rows of red brick. Roof double bulbous towers above the one golden cross. Cathedral main entrance is through a portico with three arches supported by four columns stitched above them being a small balcony with other columns. Entrance on the west façade is made by three semicircular doors.
Inside there is an iconostasis made of gilded wood. The most remarkable objects in the Orthodox Cathedral are gilded chandelier with 76 lights, crosses the two towers with heights of 1.5 m and Chivo plated metal with a length of 70 cm.
The north tower of the cathedral bell weighs 1.345 kg, while on the other three are located south tower bells, with much lower weights.
Address: Str. Mitropoliei. 33-35
Foto : http://www.panoramio.com