Stairs Passage from Sibiu was built in the fourteenth century, its purpose being to make the connection between Upper Town and Lower Town. Passage around the city walls surrounding the Evangelical Church and has two branches and several arcade. The passage ends at the top at the intersection with Odobescu with Tower Gate and the Old City Hall, where today is the Museum of History, part of the National Museum Brukental.
Stairs Passage is known as the “wall with needles” and was rebuilt twice so far. First in 1860 and then in 2006, when the city of Sibiu has invested 3,000,000 RON to rebuild masonry, soil improvement, or laying out paving the stairs instead of cubical stones.
It is part of the third ring of fortifications in the city with defensive towers, along Tower Carpenters, Potter Tower, Gunsmiths Tower, Gateway Tower and curtains erected during the period from 1357 to 1366. Since 2004 Stairs Passage was included on the list of historical monuments in Sibiu.
In 2007, European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso visited Stairs Passage and promised financial and logistical support for the preservation of historical monuments in Sibiu.
Source: http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasajul_Sc% C4% 83rilor_din_Sibiu